Sunday, September 23, 2007

Take Action Against Junk Mail

Recently, I've been hearing an ad on the radio for an identity protection service. Completely confident about this service, the president boldly declares his social security number over the airwaves. As he wraps up the commercial, he states that a perk of subscribing to this service is a dramatic reduction in junk mail and credit card solicitations. Hmph!

I can tell you right now how to eliminate junk mail--and it won't cost you a cent! Actually, it may cost you one dollar, but that's a new fee. It will be well worth it, though, to reclaim your mailbox, reduce carbon emissions and save some trees!

Pay a visit to the New American Dream website (newdream.org) where you will find information and resources to rid yourself of junk mail. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the "Freedom From Junk Mail" option in the "Take Action" box. You'll be directed to a page that lists two options to get your name off of the solicitors lists. One option offered costs $41, but the second will only run you the cost of a few stamps, plus one dollar. With the highly recommended cheapo version, you simply type in your name, address, and phone number, then hit the "Generate Letters" button. Their program will generate about seven letters addressed to various marketing businesses which you sign and mail.

I did this a few years ago and I no longer have problems with junk mail. Now, the only junk mail that I that I receive comes from charitable organizations. I made a contribution to one, that in turn sold my info to others. This has caused me to get creative about my contributions: a money order with the name of the organization and none of my personal information. I don't itemize my taxes anyway!

If you are concerned about the number of credit card solicitations that you receive, I strongly encourage you to generate and mail those letters to get the nasty solicitors out of your mailbox. You don't need to pay anyone to do what you can easily accomplish yourself.

No comments: